Saturday, April 11, 2009

Thought for the Day: Letting it Rain; April Showers Bring May Flowers

Thought for the Day:
The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky. - Rabindranath Tagore 
If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning. - Frederick Douglass

I am inspired to write today by what I see in looking out my window.  Other New York City residents reading this (if you're close to where I am) may be experiencing a similar scene from their window.  It has been raining today since you awoke and there has not even been a brief appearance today by the sun.  It is a cool rain that encourages you to stay right where you are (probably inside).

Sometimes the rain is shunned by society, we see it as an inconvenience - we have to carry extra accessories like umbrellas, we are more aware of the possibility of frizzy hair, and just the concept of getting wet bothers many people.  Today I have stayed put myself and have enjoyed what the rain sometimes does offer which is a moment to embrace stillness.  The rain is necessary for all life to exist, so we might as well give thanks!  Just as important as the sun, the earth, and wind, rain literally provides nutrients to the soil for plants to grow and life form to exist and thrive.  Metaphorically speaking rain is the element which provides moments for us to reflect and grow as well.  A healthy life needs all 4 elements and equal amounts!  

There is a Kirk Franklin song called "Hide Me", the lyrics say:
Hide me
Let me live behind You
Cause I need
Shelter from the rain
Remind me
The only way my faith can grow
Is when You let Your winds blow
You're making me stronger now, so rain,
Don't go away
Don't go away

Following up to yesterday's message, embrace the rainy days as you do the sunny days - they are both days that are necessary for your whole health and growth.  Remember that the rain (both literally and figuratively) is here to nurture you and give you life!  You are always supported by this Universe!

No comments:

Post a Comment